What is Celebrate Recovery?
If you are a recovering alcohol, addict or have trouble with substance abuse you may be wondering, “What is Celebrating Recovery?” Celebrate Recovery is a faith-based 12-step program in America that is designed to help a wide variety of troubling behavior patterns by facilitating a Christian belief system.
Celebrate Recovery is held under the management of local church organizations and people who have participated in the program have found that they have greater success when they are influenced and motivated by a Higher Power, which is why the program has been so widely used.
How did Celebrating Recovery Begin?
In 1991 Celebrate Recovery was started in the Saddleback Church by Pastor John Baker. But, what is Celebrating Recovery and what is its’ purpose? The purpose of Celebrate Recovery is to help addict’s handle life’s stresses and troubles by using a 12-step program that is centered around Christian concepts. This particular recovery program addresses all types of behaviors, painful feelings and emotions in a safe, calming environment free from judgement. Several additional churches and other prisons have applied the program, and over 150,000 people have participated in it. In 2004 at the Faith-Based and Community Initiative Conference, the current president who was President George W. Bush, discussed the effects of the Celebrate Recovery program and the opportunity it gave to people trying to get better from addiction. The purpose is to focus on God’s restorative healing energy via fellow members along with others and by following the 12-step program along with the concepts of the eight Beatitudes. Celebrate Recovery is run by Christians who have all gone through the 12-step recovery program.
The Recovery Process
Although, the Celebrate Recovery meetings resemble those of other 12-step programs, the one difference that is clear is the emphasis that is made on Christianity and faith. The most important stress of this plan, states that there is no Higher Power other than Jesus Christ, which is different than that of Alcoholics Anonymous because, within that program they motivate participants to choose their own idea and vision of a Higher Power. Another distinction is that Celebrate Recovery doesn’t require that each individual person follow a single declaration, a member does not need to qualify per see as an addict, gambler or alcoholic, there are no specific guidelines that need to be met in order to be a part of the program.
What will I Find at a Celebrating Recovery Meeting?
Now you know what Celebrating Recovery is, and it’s time for you to find a meeting. You can find a Celebrate Recovery meeting at local churches, missions, recovery houses, prisons and university houses all over the country. There is no admissions process to be able to participate in a meeting, if you suffer from drug, alcohol or sexual abuse and are looking for a family of resources, you will benefit from a Celebrate Recovery meeting.
A Celebrate Recovery meeting typically includes:
- A large group or team meeting
- Newcomers 101 (for your first week only)
- An open share small group
Celebrating Recovery shows the 12 Steps through relevant Biblical passages
- Romans 7:18: We all acknowledge that we are powerless over our addictive problems and compulsive habits. That our day-to-day lives have become uncontrollable.
- Philippians 2:13: We think that a power greater than ourself can restore us to sanity.
- Romans 12:1: We possess created the decision to change our will as well as our own life over to the care of God.
- Lamentations 3:40: We have made a seeking and courageous moral inventory of ourselves.
- James 5:16: We all have admitted to The almighty, to ourself, as well as to one more individual being, the exact characteristics of our errors.
- James 4:10: We are completely ready for God to remove all these types of imperfections of
- 1 John 1:9: We humbly requested Him to take away all of our flaws.
- Luke 6:31 We have made a list of all persons we have damaged and are willing to create amends to all of them .
- Matthew 5:23-24: We made, or will certainly make immediate amends to such persons whenever possible, except when to do so would hurt these individuals or even others.
- 1 Corinthians 10:12: We have continued to take personal inventory as well as when we tend to be incorrect, promptly admit it.
- Colossians 3:16: We possess searched for through prayer as well as meditation to improve our conscious get in touch with along with God, hoping only for knowledge associated with His will for all of us as well as power to carry that out.
- Galatians 6:1: Having experienced a religious experience as the outcome associated with these methods, we all seek out to carry this message to other people, as well as exercise these principles in all our affairs.
What Celebrating Recovery aims to do is allow addicts to feel like they have control over their own life and are able to choose their own journey. Despite those that may disapprove of this program, many people would disagree and say that they have been very successful in it.
If you or someone you know is suffering from alcohol, drug or sexual abuse, reach out for help or treatment right away.